Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

How to Make a Bird Feeder from a Liquor Bottle

Anyone else have baby birds galore in their yard?  With lots of little mouths to feed, wouldn't it be nice to help out the adult birds with an extra feeder or two? I've been making and selling these fabulously upcycled bird feeders for two years now.  I only sell them at festivals, farmers markets and the like.  Because they are so expensive to ship, you won't find them in my Etsy shop anymore.  So I thought, why not show the rest of the world how I make them.  Check it out, I officially call them Booze Bottle Bird Feeders:


They're pretty easy to make once you get past the drilling a hole in glass part.  But, remember, I showed you how to do that in my last post.  You'll need just a few supplies:

1.  Wine or liquor bottle with the original cap or a cork
2.  A thrift store plate
3.  A 12-18" (ish) length of copper wire
4.  Vice Grip (best ten bucks I've spent in a long time!)
5.  Clear Silicone
6.  And if you don't already have one, a Diamond Hole Saw for drilling your holes in the bottle

Once you've drilled your holes in the "booze" bottle, you can use your vice grip to shape and coil the copper wire around the neck of the bottle to form your hanger.  Then simply add a solid bead of silicone adhesive to the bottom of your bottle and press it into place on your plate.  Set it aside to cure and in a short three hours time, you'll have your very own booze bottle bird feeder.  Now go raid your recycle bin...or the neighbors and get to it!

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The toughest part is drilling the holes, and with the right tool even that is easy peasy!

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog from the Work it Wednesday blog hop! Excited to be following you along via GFC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your sweet blog at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea Tricia. found you at the Thursday S.T.Y.L.E Link up. Will be minning this for a future project.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this upcycle! I'm so glad I found your blog at Twirl and Take a Bow - I love it! I am having a Pinterest party this month and I try to make the craft out of something we already have. I'm pinning this idea as a top contender!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give it a try! I have several in my front yard.

      Delete
  6. Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. Ruisheng empty liquor obttle

    ReplyDelete
  7. If more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings. Thank you for caring about your content. glass cutting machine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for some other informative website. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such a perfect method? I have a venture that I am simply now running on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such info. glass grinding machine

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...