Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Freecycled Wood Chips?

If you garden you know mulch isn't cheap.  If you have smaller gardens where you aren't buying mulch by the truckload you also know that it typically has a wasteful plastic bag, too.  Well my environmentally-minded friends I'm here to tell you that you don't need to worry about that at all!  A quick click or two over to Freecycle.org and you can have a freshly mulched garden for free that didn't waste anything.  Here's mine:


How's this possible?  Well, a fellow Freecycler recently chipped a fallen tree and had a huge pile of the debris in her driveway.  She posted an ad and I responded with a smile...and about 15 kitty litter buckets.  Unfortunately, I didn't even put a dent in the pile for her but I'm sure others will be along!

And how about that border?  While it wasn't technically a Freecycle, I did put to use something that was someone else's trash.  One of the houses in my neighborhood is remodeling and the owners had cut down a tree in the process.  They put a big sign out front that said free firewood (during one of the hottest spring weeks in years).  So after driving by the pile for a couple of weeks I finally I stopped and grabbed a few of the smaller stumps just to define the bed.  I think I need to stop for a few more but I like the definition they add. 

What are you upcycling in the garden?

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! Woodchips! Pretty much mulch, in my opinion! Cheaper to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean, aren't they pretty? And the aroma is magnificent, too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...